Thursday, December 11, 2008

Downtime

"I used to love Recess!!!

"Recess is a general term for a period of time in which a group of people is temporarily dismissed from its duties. In parliamentary procedure, a recess is initiated by a motion to recess.It was invented by Bronson Alcott who wanted his students to have active physical play and time to talk."

Education - "recess" is the North American term (known as "playtime" or "break"
Great Britain - sometimes "playlunch" or "little lunch"
Australia - or "interval" or "morning tea"
New Zealand - for a daily period, typically ten to thirty minutes in elementary school where students are allowed to leave the school's interior to enter its adjacent outdoor playground
source: from Wikipedia.org

Oh! I could very well recall how we all would give a sigh of relief once we hear that 9:00 am (which now on those hours I'm still not back from slumberland when there's an opportunity) bell. Recess time!

Then I would spend the 45-minute break by (literally) chatting with my friends, rubber necking on the school corridors hoping our crushes might pass by while munching on Mr. Chips, Chippy and sipping Coke.
.
..then another bell, and we're back inside the classroom, with a tormenting pop-quiz greeting us or just plainly another subject where we could pretend to stick or faces in the book and hitch a nap. Then somewhere in between there's one subject (or was it the teacher) that (who) perks up everyone just in time, right before our (then) young digestive system would react to hunger....

...yeah..school days...

I do wish economic recess (ion) shares the same definition as the one mentioned above. unfortunately,with the suffix "ion" completely changed the entire word. I just can't help, but feel threatened about it...."



Erase! erase! erase!

It's a Friday, I'm already done with what I have to do and still a long way to go before 6:00pm.

I guess I'm having that downtime, you know, one of those fridays where you just want to sit down, tap that dirty office keyboard and make words out of it.  Pretentiously making clacking sounds as if you really are a guru in using those Autocad shortcut keys, when in fact you are indulge in something else. Like for me for instance, this blog, just to have an entry today (making up for the lost time in blogging haha!) since the silence at this very moment is very deafening.

Yeah there's only four of us here now, Siew Kuan our secretary, Hashima, one of the seniors in the technical department and of course the ever-silent Siaoje (if I spellled that right) and well, me. Everyone is on a meeting, and it's very quiet that maybe my two colleagues (Hashima and Siaoje behind me) has been hearing the grumbling of my stomach out of hunger. The only thing that breaks the silence is the random ringing of the office phone and, well, Siaoje's (reeeally) old radio playing "Merry Christmas Darling" by the Carpenters in that really old unremastered quality as if it's still a cartridge playing (oh! you have no idea!)...Geez it's so friday-like today, really.

If I were to write something substantial and insightful, I would finish the recession (draft) entry above but I chose not to. I've had enough bad news already about the global financial recession for the past months and I don't want to entertain anymore bad newsesses. I just want to linger on this downtime for a while and do some thinking (about what?). It's psychologically healthy anyway (am I going crazy? yeah pun intended) . So, okay, here I  go...liiiiingeeeeerrrrriiiinngggg...


If there's somewhere I wanna be right now, I wanna be in this virtual lakeside park I created (for a project pitch) and stroll with Tom Welling (yeah he's that guy in blue) by that beautiful serene river...and probably ask him if he gets ridiculed by playing Clark Kent....and is he willing to topple down Brandon Routh in red briefs and blue tights? (some fan huh?).
Hold on? what does, this lakeside park and strolling with Tom Welling has to do with recession?...wierd!...oh! okay, like i said I'm liiingeerrrrinnng to this downtime moment so leave me be...


Laters!





No comments: